Bordentown City Environmental Commission (BCEC)
Minutes of April 8, 2015
Carslake Community Center Senior’s Room
Minutes Prepared by Katie Nosker
Meeting Called to Order at 7:30 P.M.
Attendance: Mike Lahr, Mike Tunney, Ralph Tolemeo (Chair), Katie Nosker, Joel Dowshen
(Members of the public Present): Cathy Elliott-Shawn, Bill Wolfe
Minutes: March minutes not available
Communications and Announcements:
- Community Garden: Mike Tuney says the area will be tilled soon. Cathy Elliott-Shawn explained that the goal is to gether community members to form a committee, which will set the rules and guidelines for the garden. The plan is to have a pilot this planting season.
- Green team requests $3,000 in BCEC funds to build a fence around the community garden. Mike Tuney motions to vote, Mike Lahr seconds. BCEC votes unanimously to approve the use of BCEC funds for the community garden fence.
- Joel Dowshen says he can send out an email to generate interest and notify the community of this garden. Green team will provide language for the email.
- BCEC material storage: Ralph Tolemeo spoke with Sally, she suggested using the batting cage area, which can be secured.
- Doggie Bags: Ralph Tolemeo will check to see if the Clean Communities Grant can be used to pay for these bags. Cathy Elliott-Shawn will talk with the Watershed Ambassador to see if she knows of other funds available.
- Drug Drop Off: Ralph Tolemeo reported that police departments can qualify to accept drugs. Ralph will contact Bordentown City to see if the Police Department would like to be qualified to accept drugs.
- 2015 Events: Ralph Tolemeo will obtain city equipment for the Riverkeeper presentation on April 14th. The Shade Tree Commission Tree Planting and the Rain Barrel workshop will both occur on April 18th. The Lime Kiln Butterfly Garden Cleanup will occur on May 3rd in cooperation with the Unitarian Church. The theme for the street fair on May 16th and 17th will be the community garden and reusable bags. Green Fair is scheduled for June 13th – the Green Team will be requesting assistance. Ralph Tolemeo will set up a site visit to the new single stream recycling center on a weekday in the fall. The Cranberry festival is scheduled for October 3rd and 4th.
- Planning Board Report: Mike Lahr explained that the Old Saint Mary’s Nursery School project passed and that funding is in place for the pants factory rehab.
- Green Team Report: Cathy Elliott-Shawn reported that the school garden is in need of a school liaison. Members are working on creating qualifications for the sustainable business award.
Bill Wolfe will provide a proposal to create more objective standards around noise, nuisance, and anti-idling concerns.