Bordentown City Environmental Commission (BCEC)
Minutes of February 10, 2016
Carslake Community Center Senior’s Room
Minutes Prepared by Katie Nosker
Meeting Called to Order at 7:30 P.M.
Attendance: Ralph Tolemeo (Chair), Joel Dowshen (Co-Chair), Leah Ingalsbe-Ducey, Katie Nosker, Mike Tuney, Joe Malone (Mayor)
(Members of the public present): Ralph Simon, Mike Maloney
Minutes: Minutes from January 13, 2016 approved.
Communications, Announcements, New Business:
- BCEC Membership Recruiting
- Ralph encourages everyone to recruit new members
- Green Team Report
- Ralph reports on behalf of Cathy. Cathy would like to encourage participation from BCEC in the Green Team, and would like to encourage new members to attend
- Cathy inquires if BCEC would like to develop a position regarding:
- The pipeline
- The hazardous waste proposal across the Delaware
- BCEC determines that they will individually research these items and come prepared for discussion next time
- Planning Board Report
- Mike Tuney reports that a 4 story hotel with 128 rooms and a car wash have been approved on the McGuire Chevrolet site
- Joe Malone reports that a temporary system has been installed to remove radon from the City’s water. The City is now bidding to drill new wells. The radon levels are down. Bordentown does not have a lead problem in the water. The city is adding a sequestering agent to coat pipes
- BCEC Budget
- Any budget requests should be sent to Ralph. Ralph will work with Mayor Malone
- Joe Malone wants to set up an ordinance to guarantee funds to BCEC and other city entities. This will be more permanent than resolutions, which are currently used
- BCEC is able to do fundraisers if they choose – perhaps for community garden activities
- BCEC is a member of ANJEC. We pay annual dues to belong to this group.
- Fall/Winter BCEC Newsletter – prepared by Joel, newsletter has been sent
- Community Garden
- Leah will work with Grace on accepting money and applications for plots
- Current is considering running an article about the garden in their next publication
- The garden will be officially named for Ellen Wehrman. Joe Malone suggests that if BCEC writes a memo to him, he can make this official at the city level.
- An opening will be done in May
- Website – Joel is now in charge of the website. He has moved the website to a new server and is updating the format and content
- Earth Talks and Events:
- Leah will conduct community garden earth talk on March 22nd at 7pm. This will include discussions on backyard composting, tilling, plot size and the creation of a management committee
- Rain Barrel workshop in April
- April 2nd at 12pm – cleanup of Hilltop Park with the Kiwanis
- Street Fair – May 21st and 22nd. Topics will be the community garden, composting and the Green Fair
- Earth Talk by Bordentown City Water Department in May
- Green Fair – June 11
- Cranberry Festival – October
The meeting adjourned at 8:45 pm.
Next BCEC Meeting: Wednesday March 9, 2016 @ 7:30 PM.