Bordentown City Environmental Commission (BCEC)
Minutes of January 14, 2015
Carslake Community Center Senior’s Room
Minutes prepared by Leah Ducey
Meeting called to order at 7:30 pm
Attendance: (Quorum present) Ralph Tolomeo (Chair), Joel Dowshen (Vice-Chair), Leah Ducey, Mike Lahr, Mike Tunney, Andy Richardson
(Members of the public present): Cathy Elliott-Shaw, Katie Nosker, Mayor Malone, Sallie Miller
No minutes to approved. September and December minutes approved.
Communications and Announcements:
- Lime Kiln Park update: Mayor to meet with Lime Kiln Committee to review maintenance plan, Mike Tunney will mark out where to cut for city workers. Mayor Malone will ask the county to cut Ships Alley with flail mower once a month to keep growth back. Message kiwannis about taking over care of Butterfly garden- weeding/ mulching. MAy 2nd garden clean up and teach Kiwanis how to keep weeded. Pavilion will be set up down by the creek.
- Oliver Street Park update: Need to establish paths and maintenance plan.
- Green Team updates: No update to school garden. Plans to attend DBA meeting to talk about handing out reusable bags for Chocolate walk in February and possible ordering more. Green Business Recognition Program for new laundromat in town, GT working on Green Business Award. Laundromat was focus of green business Register News article. City GT looking into working with Township GT for Green Fair to ease work load. Next Green Team meeting 1/20, 7pm at Carslake Community Center.
- Community Garden Update– Leah Ducey is working on fence quotes. We still need quotes for water pipe installation- Mayor says about 4K, resurfacing basketball court, pavilion, and walking track. Looking to hold a Community meeting about garden in February or March. Leah, Andy, Cathy and Cindy are working on Sustainable Jersey grant for garden due 2/1.
- BCEC membership update: Need to replace Brooke’s position, Mike Tunney and MIke L expire 5/2015. Letter to be sent to members who no longer attend meetings to ask if still interested, if not we will look to replace them.
- Crosswicks Creek water issue was brought to our attention to look into. Mayor said it already has been decided to put in a treatment plant.
- Mayor Malone said he would ask City attorney about updating Master PLan and if old city plan leaves us vulnerable to unwanted development at the old Ocean Spray plant.
- City water has had low levels of radioactives, Water plant has plans to drill new well and update filters to address issue.
- Mayor Malone and Ziggy Targonski attended meeting with PA DEP to argue new Hazardous waste disposal plant across river in Bristol, PA.
- Mayor has recommended that the BCEC does not create a facebook page for liability reasons.
- 2/17 Skunk and Groundhog talk
- 4/18 Rain Barrel workshop
- 4/25 Drug collection
- 5/2 Clean up at Butterfly Garden in Lime Kiln
- 5/16 Street Fair
- 6/13 Greenfair
- 10/3-10/4 Cranberry Festival
- Board looking to nominate people for Ocean Spray redevelopment committee- Mike Lahr and Deb Branson.
- New owner of Ocean Spray is Dan Popkins, owner of Recycled Modern Spaces. Redevelopment grant to assist with redevelopment of 3rd street to rt 206 on Park St (possible Brewery, upscale market). Elizabeth st most likely to stay a warehouse.
- Aldi taking over Bottom Dollar and Dunkin Donuts going in parking lot.
BCEC 2013 Budget:
- $3600 new budget
Meeting Adjourned at 9:20 (the next meeting will be February 11th at 7:30pm.)