Bordentown City Environmental Commission (BCEC)
Minutes of September 9, 2015
Carslake Community Center Senior’s Room
Minutes Prepared by Joel Dowshen
Meeting Called to Order at 7:30 P.M.
Attendance: Ralph Tolomeo (Chair), Joel Dowshen (Co-Chair), Mike Tunney, Leah Ingalsbe-Ducey.
(Members of the public present): Cathy Elliott-Shaw, Paul Ordog, Ed.D. Chairman of the Florence Township Environmental Commission
Minutes: There was no meeting in August.
Communications, Announcements, New Business:
- Ralph is updating.
- Mike Tunney and Mike Lahr appointments have expired. Awaiting re-appointment by Mayor Malone.
- New Earth Talks
- Still awaiting dates for Tours of Burlington County Resource Recovery Complex: Up to 20 people per tour on weekdays only. Ralph checking with Anne Moore.
- September 22, 7PM: Earth Talk on the Pinelands (still pending call back confirmation).
- November 10, 7PM: Earth Talk by either Cedar Run or Pollination Station. (still pending call back confirmation).
- Late winter/early spring talk about Community Garden discussed.
- No Planning Board report. Asking Katie Nosker to attend next Planning Board meeting in Mike Lahr’s absence.
- Green Team Report: Cathy noted that they are focusing on the Community Garden and other ongoing activities. No current grant requests. Robbinsville has come to the Green Team for ideas/help setting up their own Team.
- To date, budget balance is $2234.05. Expected expenditures are $1,500 for Community Garden shed. $200-300 for Community Garden supplies, cover crop, etc. $200 for printing of new Library/Lime Kiln Butterfly Gardens brochure.
- Cranberry Festival: Ralph is organizing staffing schedule (10-1, 1-4) and people for set-up and break-down. A composter will be raffled off.
- Fall/Winter BCEC Newsletter: Joel is putting together material, potentially oriented to City gardens.
- Community Garden Update: Leah reported that we are waiting for gate and lock. Don Stein will help til. Need a core group of people to organize the Community Garden records, spaces, charges, bylaws/rules, et
- Lime Kiln Alley: Agreed that the meadow should be cut between now and fall. Ralph will discuss with Mayor Malone. Leah will help oversee Unitarian Church members work plans to keep the Butterfly Garden in good shape.
- Oliver Street: no discussion.
Paul Ordog, chair of the Florence Township Environmental Commission commented on their efforts to get the Waste Management Tullytown landfill closed, and their ongoing effort to prevent Elcon from potentially polluting the air drifting over to Florence. He wanted to be sure we understand that both Waste Management and Elcon have plans that would directly effect the Bordentown area and advised that meetings are coming up in which we should take interest. Joel had already forwarded some comments received on the BCEC website to Mayor Malone and Ralph. Ralph will talk to Mayor Malone to see if the BCEC can help organize and publicize any public information effort in this area.
The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm.
Next BCEC Meeting: Wednesday October 14, 2015 @ 7:30 PM.